[pvrusb2] no video...

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Jan 20 23:26:11 CST 2009

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009, Dhimiter Bozo wrote:

> hi Mike,i've connected the coaxial out from the cable box to the back of the
> tv and that works. when i connect the cable box coaxial cable to the capture
> card that does not work. i've even bypassed using mplayer and tried it
> straight with VLC but no luck. i'm not really sure what you mean when you
> say: "Seems like you are just not operating
> it correctly with the cable box or that your cable box is doing
> something you don't expect."i have cablevision and the box is
> from scientific atlanta explorer 4250HD. in the back it has hdmi out,
> component out, and coaxial in and out. I've connected the tv to both, hdmi
> and coaxial out and both outputs work. when i plug coaxial out in the
> capture card i get just snow flakes, no sound even. could it be that the
> capture card is not compatible with this cable box? or maybe there is
> something about the output format from the cable box that tripping the
> capture card. i'm not very familiar with this hardware so it's hard to debug
> it.

Not being physically in front of you cable box, it's kind of hard to
debug it for you :-(

What I can tell you is that if your cable box is sending out a normal
composite signal, then the pvrusb2-driven capture device should be able
to tune it, digitize it, and stream it.  There really can't be a
"compatibility problem" since analog video standards have been well
understood for a time much longer than even the advent of the VCR...

Getting just "snow" on the capture card really seems like you're just
not tuning the right frequency from the cable box.  But I don't know
what the "right" frequency should be since I don't know how your box is
set up.  Certainly whatever your TV is doing should work with the
capture device.  Perhaps you have a frequency table problem.  (But I'm
getting confused with other threads here so I'm not sure if you looked
into that possibility already.)

isely @ pobox (dot) com