[pvrusb2] s5h1411 errors

Roger rogerx at sdf.lonestar.org
Sun Jul 12 14:42:40 CDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-07-12 at 00:30 -0500, Mike Isely wrote:
> A number of people here over time have been reporting getting spurious
> errors like these in the system log:
>
> 	s5h1411_readreg: readreg error (ret == -5)
>
> Just wanted to let everyone know that I haven't forgotten about this,
> but so far I've been unable to reproduce the problem :-(
>
> I'd appreciate it if those who are seeing this could reply to me with
> this information:
>
> * kernel version
> * pvrusb2 driver version, if using a standalone snapshot
> * v4l-dvb snapshot revision, if using v4l-dvb
> * operation that precipitated the error (e.g. "analog capture in mythtv")
> * device type being used (e.g. "hvr-1950")

Remember, I see these I2C errors right after the pvrusb2 module is
loaded (during firmware initialization/load) and if the hvr-1950 is not
cold started & already preloaded with firmware from a previous boot.

(I hope I'm wording this properly and you can understand the sequence of
ops.)

I know I've tested a series of 2.29* releases and this error is
consistent.  2.6.30* releases still lock my box up & haven't had a
chance to debug.  (Likely due to Nvidia driver needing
recompiled/fixed.)

More relevant info, would be to also note the h/w revision number.  In
my case:

WinTV-HVR-1950
NTSC/ATSC/QAM
75111F