[pvrusb2] s5h1411 errors

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Jul 12 00:30:36 CDT 2009

A number of people here over time have been reporting getting spurious
errors like these in the system log:

	s5h1411_readreg: readreg error (ret == -5)

Just wanted to let everyone know that I haven't forgotten about this,
but so far I've been unable to reproduce the problem :-(

I'd appreciate it if those who are seeing this could reply to me with
this information:

* kernel version
* pvrusb2 driver version, if using a standalone snapshot
* v4l-dvb snapshot revision, if using v4l-dvb
* operation that precipitated the error (e.g. "analog capture in mythtv")
* device type being used (e.g. "hvr-1950")

I know various people have given me various tidbits of the above over
time, but I need to collect this in one spot so I can look for
commonalities and set up similar conditions here.  I was hoping that the
problem would be bad enough that it would be easy to reproduce but so
far no luck.

The error by the way, does not come directly from the pvrusb2 driver.
This is emitted by the specific tuner driver which is a part of the
v4l-dvb subsystem.  The error code ("-5" status) looks like EIO which
would be what the pvrusb2 driver will do if an I2C transfer fails.
However generally if an I2C transfer fails then the device is completely
messed up and a lot more than just the tuner module should be getting
angry at the hardware.  My only other thought is that the tuner driver
might be misbehaving due to an analog vs digital mode screwup but
honestly this is a wild guess and I have no specific evidence to back it
up.

Anyway, at this point I'm not progressing on this problem, so collecting
information about the conditions for those seeing this problem would be
helpful.

  -Mike

p.s.

Starting early next week I will be away for a while.  I am not sure how
well internet-connected I will be but I certainly won't be able to try
anything with real hardware until I return - at that time I will do what
I can to continue examining this.