[pvrusb2] hauppauge wintv pvr usb2

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Fri Jul 31 00:04:48 CDT 2009

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009, sylvain arbour wrote:

> Hi,

> here is the result of the command:
>
> sylvain at sylvain-desktop2:~$ dmesg |grep pvrusb2
> [    8.143906] usbcore: registered new interface driver pvrusb2
> [    8.143933] pvrusb2: 20090509 (from www.isely.net):Hauppauge
> WinTV-PVR-USB2 MPEG2 Encoder/Tuner
> [    8.143936] pvrusb2: Debug mask is 31 (0x1f)
> [    8.144063] usb 1-2: firmware: requesting v4l-pvrusb2-29xxx-01.fw
> [    8.220760] pvrusb2: Device microcontroller firmware (re)loaded; it
> should now reset and reconnect.
> [    8.235072] pvrusb2: Device being rendered inoperable

If you got nothing after this, then the device crashed when it tried to
start from the new firmware.  This makes me suspect that you have a
faulty firmware image or that something is preventing it from being
cleanly loaded into the hardware.  The v4l-pvrusb2-29xxx-01.fw firmware
file is the actual executable image loaded onto the microcontroller
which operates the entire device.  It is critical to all aspects of
operation.  What you see above is the pvrusb2 driver attempting to
download that firmware image and reboot the device.  If the reboot
succeeds (which should ALWAYS be the case), then the rest of the driver
initialization will commence.

> sylvain at sylvain-desktop2:~$ lsmod |grep pvrusb
> pvrusb2               150336  0
> cx2341x                20996  1 pvrusb2
> v4l2_common            20992  2 pvrusb2,cx2341x
> videodev               41600  1 pvrusb2
> v4l1_compat            21764  2 pvrusb2,videodev
> tveeprom               20100  1 pvrusb2
>
> I do the compilation of the driver version of may 2009.   My hauppaupe
> wintv pvr usb2 device is 29032 rev D158 NTSC/NTSC-J

That looks good.

> This time I don't even get the /dev/video0... I can see that the
> device is inoperable but I don't know what's is the problem.

So you *did* get a /dev/video0 at some point in the past?  If you ever
get a /dev/video0, then the driver did successfully initialize, which is
only possible if the device's firmware initializes correctly (among a
number of things that must work).  If the firmware file is itself
corrupt, then you should always get stuck after reloading the firmware.
If the firmware file is fine but something is trashing the transfers,
that's more of a probabilistic thing which means it will probably fail
at different points of initialization at various times, or sometimes it
might actually work.  Knowing which of these two cases you are
experiencing would help.

Can you attach a USB hard drive to that same cable endpoint and verify
that you can transfer large blocks of data (multiple megabyte size)
to/from that hard drive?  That would be a good way to rule out any USB
connectivity / reliability problems.  Another thing to try - if you can
- is to try the same pvrusb2 device on another computer.  If you get the
same bad behavior there, you might have a device with a hardware
problem (trying it under a Windows system would be further proof if this
this the case).