[pvrusb2] Poor analog picture on HVR-1950 after upgrade to 2.6.28 kernel

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Jun 10 23:37:44 CDT 2009

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009, fivenote wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I upgraded to kernel 2.6.28 (ubuntu jaunty). After the upgrade the
> digital side of the HVR-1950 tuner looked great (even improved), but
> the analog side has problems.
>
> The picture seems zoomed and cut-off on the right side.

Just FYI for everyone else - Vincent also sent me an mpeg clip which
demonstrates the same issue.  The image is stretched to the right and
clipped.

> I compiled and installed the latest v4l drivers and got the same
> results. I tested by setting the card to "television" via sysctl and
> playing via mplayer. I also tested with mythtv. I then plugged my
> digital camera into the analog inputs and got the same poor picture
> from the camera.
>
> Is this a known problem? Can I provide more info or check anything else?

No, this is a new problem (or the return of a very old problem).  I
don't have an answer right now.

Just to be clear - this also happened with the stock 2.6.28 kernel you
got from ubuntu, with NO other v4l-dvb drivers or later pvrusb2 driver
added to it?  Yes I know you also tried v4l-dvb and the standalone
driver, but if you're seeing this *just* with the stuff in the 2.6.28
kernel then that narrows the search space quite a bit.

Given the nature of the symptoms, this should be a big problem to a lot
of people.  Has anyone else seen this?  I will try to reproduce it here
as well.