[pvrusb2] Poor analog picture on HVR-1950 after upgrade to 2.6.28 kernel

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Fri Jun 12 17:43:55 CDT 2009

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009, Scott Doty wrote:

> BTW, after doing all pending updates to my (newly-upgraded) f11 system, I was
> able to get good video from /dev/video0 -- only thing wrong was aspect ratio
> (looked to be 1:1)...

Please send me an mpeg snippet showing what you have (just e-mail it to
me directly).

> Also, when catting ...standard/cur_val, it used to say "none" before i'd set
> it to NTSC-M -- but this time, it said NTSC-M after boot, all I had to change
> in /sys was the input (to composite).
>
> I'll still play with it, will try with vlc (which almost worked before, but
> showed up as pal, even when the standard was specifically set to NTSC)...

Well that's an improvement but we haven't learned a thing about why it
was wrong in the first place :-(  And I'd like very much to figure this
out because probably others will hit this problem (like Vincent).

Did you change kernels?

Unless an application runs and specifically modifies the device
configuration, the choice of the initial video standard is entirely
contained within the pvrusb2 driver, based only on the hardware it sees
and any module options you might have specified (unlikely).  I'd
*really* like to know why your initial video standard selection has
magically changed.  Knowing that likely will shed some light on this.

Vincent: Can you follow the steps I outlined in the previous message?