[pvrusb2] Poor analog picture on HVR-1950 after upgrade to 2.6.28 kernel

Scott Doty scott at ponzo.net
Fri Jun 12 18:05:14 CDT 2009

On 06/12/2009 03:43 PM, Mike Isely wrote:

> Well that's an improvement but we haven't learned a thing about why it
> was wrong in the first place :-(  And I'd like very much to figure this
> out because probably others will hit this problem (like Vincent).
>
> Did you change kernels?

No kernel change[*], but I did have a dalliance with trying the drivers
directly from your web site, as well as:

* downloading & installing nvidia's proprietary drivers, right from
nvidia.com, and
* downshifting the cpu multiplier to match the cpu's rated capacity

the latter two were to stop random lockups I was getting under load.

[*]  I did run a "yum update" though, to get caught up with everything,
including rpmfusion updates...

> Unless an application runs and specifically modifies the device
> configuration, the choice of the initial video standard is entirely
> contained within the pvrusb2 driver, based only on the hardware it sees
> and any module options you might have specified (unlikely).  I'd
> *really* like to know why your initial video standard selection has
> magically changed.  Knowing that likely will shed some light on this.

Here's what it looks like now (generated with "cat /dev/video0 > ..."):

http://ponzo.net/newshawk/testout.mpeg2

Two other things of note:  /dev/video (the symlink) is no longer being
created, and the /dev/video0 node isn't getting its acl entry for my
non-root user, so I have to manually set perms on /dev/video0 ... which
sounds like it could be a hotplug issue (udev);

and maybe when hotplug is working correctly, udev sets something crazy
on the device that is screwing things up?

  -Scott