[pvrusb2] Poor analog picture on HVR-1950 after upgrade to 2.6.28 kernel

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Fri Jun 12 18:29:22 CDT 2009

I just managed to reproduce at least one of the symptoms!  Do this:

cat /sys/class/pvrusb2/*/ctl_resolution_hor/cur_val

What do you see?  720?  640?

The default value for that setting when the driver starts is 720.  But
if I change it to 640, then I get the color stripes.  If you see 640,
change it to 720 and try mplayer again.

For the record, ctl_resolution_ver/cur_val I have is 480.

It's entirely likely that MythTV is reprogramming the capture resolution
- because it's something you can easily do when setting up a profile AND
I believe the normal MythTV default for analog is 640!

This is looking more and more like the problem that I dealt with a
couple years ago.  Back then things were traced to an initialization
issue with the cx25840 module - I had to call an additional
unexpected entrypoint.  Obviously I'm going to go back and review that.

If we're having problems with cx25840 initialization again then it could
certainly also explain the video aspect distortions and cropping as
well.