[pvrusb2] Poor analog picture on HVR-1950 after upgrade to 2.6.28 kernel

fivenote fivenote at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 10:21:31 CDT 2009

I found the 480x480 setting in myth's recording profiles (I'd never
tweaked these before). When I set it to 720x480 the picture looks good
and centered (but may be a few pixels off as Roger says)

To try what Mike suggested and see what pvrusb2 sets on startup
independent of myth, I shutdown mythbackend and re-powered the hvr1950
(fwiw, see attached dmesg.pvrusb2). When I do, the initial
ctl_resolution_hor/cur_val was 720 and ctl_resolution_ver/cur_val was
480. It seems that myth was the one putting it back to 480x480 and
creating the bad picture.

Since this happened after a distribution upgrade, was this just the
upgraded mythtv putting in new default recording profile settings of
480x480? I'd never changed these before. Even the comment on the
screen says put it to 720x480 for NTSC or you'll get "ghosting". If
so, I apologize. But it also seems Mike has re-discovered an old bug
related to this. If so, I feel better his efforts are not wasted.

Either way, thanks to Mike, Roger and Scott. This is an awesome
mailing list. I'll keep following this thread and be of any help I can
to resolving this one.

-vincent