[pvrusb2] hvr-1900, mythtv and remote

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Mar 22 16:46:34 CDT 2009

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009, Aljaž Prusnik wrote:

> On sob, 2009-03-21 at 16:04 -0500, Mike Isely wrote:
> > > I have not found a single source on google about this.
> > First I've heard of this particular set of symptoms.
> >

> Great to hear I'm not crazy. :)
>
> > > Additionally I get also these messages:
> > > cx25840' 1-0044: firmware: requesting v4l-cx25840.fw
> > > cx25840' 1-0044: loaded v4l-cx25840.fw firmware (16382 bytes)
> > That's normal.  This will happen upon device initialization and also
> > IIRC any time the device switches to analog mode.
> >

> Yup I agree. It happens while tuning to analogue channels. No errors.
> The picture is there and everything is ok.
>
> > > tda10048_readreg: readreg error (ret == -5)
> > > tda10048_writereg: writereg error (ret == -5)
> > > tda10048_readreg: readreg error (ret == -5)
> > > tda10048_writereg: writereg error (ret == -5)
> > This isn't normal.
> >

> This is what I get if I run "scan channel-list" for every frequency
> scanned:
> tda18271_read_regs: ERROR: i2c_transfer returned: -5
> tda18271_ir_cal_init: error -5 on line 786
> tda18271_init: error -5 on line 810
> tda18271_tune: error -5 on line 831
> tda18271_set_params: error -5 on line 912
>
> And I think I narrowed it down to a DVB problem for now, since analogue
> reception works in mplayer and vlc. I have yet to figure out why mythtv
> refuses to cooperate. Seems to me it has something to do with the
>
> "cx25840' 1-0044: 0x0000 is not a valid video input!"
>
> message. This doesn't happen with vlc or mplayer.

That message is, uh, a "decoy".  It happens when in digital mode (which
normally won't be the case when using vlc or mplayer).

When you're running the device in digital mode the cx25840 hardware is
not used at all.  The driver implements digital mode internally by
treating that as another kind of input.  However the logic in the
pvrusb2 driver which handles control of the cx25840 module doesn't
understand this very well and attempts to select a bogus input for that
chip.  It's harmless.  Once you switch back to analog mode and the chip
is needed again, it gets reinitialized anyway (i.e. the firmware loading
messages) and everyone will be happy again.

The pvrusb2 driver should be able to suppress that message by selecting
a sane (but still ultimately meaningless) input on the cx25840 when in
digital mode.  I just haven't done that.

> > Probably a driver or hardware problem.  It should not be possible for an
> > app to play a part in I2C errors deep down in the driver.  However, it's
> > not clear from your message whether or not mplayer /dev/vide0 actually
> > worked for you.  That would be useful to know.
> >

> I tried Windows XP. Both tuning is ok there (analogue and dvb-t).

OK, so the hardware is healthy in Windows.  But does mplayer in analog
mode work?

> > Other items that would be useful to know include:
> > 1. Kernel version.
> >

> Custom 2.6.28.8 kernel (with all the options in dvb and v4l section as
> well as those listed on your driver page).
>
> > 2. Which pvrusb2 driver you are using (in-kernel, using a v4l-dvb
> > snapshot, or which standalone driver snapshot you are using).
>
> I tried them all (also ubuntu generics from jaunty which is also
> 2.6.28-something). Currently I'm running the latest one off your
> web-site. I also tried 2.6.29-rc8 - no differences.
>
> I also disabled lirc as suggested.

Make sure the lirc driver does not get loaded in the kernel.  Even if
you're not "using" lirc, the mere existence of the driver could be
enough to cause trouble.  And once it's gone, power cycle the HVR-1900
so that any screwed up state is cleared out.  Power cycling will also
cause the pvrusb2 driver to forget everything it previously knew about
the device and to reinitialize.

If lirc is truly out of the picture here, then I currently do not have
any idea why you're getting I2C I/O errors.

isely @ pobox (dot) com