[pvrusb2] HVR-1950 - bad video quality

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Mar 31 20:26:17 CDT 2009

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, stan schultz wrote:

> Yes I was using the NTSC-M.  I am in Oregon and recieve my cable service
> from Wave Broadband (aka wbcable.com).  I have tried using Mythtv and got
> the same results.  I haven't tried just trying over the air, but that may be
> worth trying even though we don't have the best over the air signal.  Of
> course, as I got good reception using Windows and Cable I don't expect an
> improvment changing to Linux and over the air.

Damn.  Guess I lost my bet.  Well there's still the question of
frequency table.  MythTV *should* be getting that right on its own
provided you configured an video source that is "cable".  If you did
that, then I can't explain the absolutely crappy results you are
getting.

It would be useful to figure out if the crappy video is due to tuning or
some other aspect of the video pipeline.  There's a way to tell this
apart: Use the composite or s-video input, which doesn't need the RF
stage of the pipeline.  If you have a DVD player, VCR, camcorder, or
other source of source, jack that into the device, use sysfs to switch
that input (e.g. "echo composite > /sys/class/pvrusb2/*/ctl_input/cur_val")
then run mplayer on the device node and see if you get a clear picture.
If you do then you've proven that this is a tuning issue.  If the
picture is still crap, then it's not tuning but something else totally
bizarre going on.

isely @ pobox (dot) com