[pvrusb2] Any rumors on a new h/w version of HVR-1950 being released?

Roger rogerx at sdf.lonestar.org
Tue May 5 04:06:52 CDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 01:16 -0700, storkus at storkus.com wrote:
> I've been on the mailing list and haven't read much besides the subject
> line for a long time now (months), but this is something I just had to
> reply to!
>
> On Mon, 04 May 2009 20:29:04 -0800, "Roger" <rogerx at sdf.lonestar.org>
> said:
> > Any rumors on a new hardware version of the HVR-1950 being released?
>
> OMG I hope not, we just got this one working decent (although still w/o
> FM support AFAIK, but that's no big deal (again IMHO)).

Ditto.  (Similar to the release of MediaMVP version of the pvrusb2.)

> > (... looks like I've waited long enough and may take the plunge on
> > getting one of these within the next week or so.)
>
> Funny you say that, I'm debating selling mine--I'm finding the boob tube
> isn't holding my interest much anymore. :(

Ditto as well.  But you should have one of these babies hooked-up so you
can record the programs worthy of watching for viewing!  It's what I do
for the few programs worthy of watching.

> > And, does anybody know if mplayer can play the live stream on a Intel P3
> > CPU after using mplayer's hacks to resize the video before streaming?
>
> Here's the main reason for responding here: I had a project (in limbo
> since I lost interest) of trying to get Myth* working on an old desktop
> computer.  The machine in question is a P4 1.4 GHz with (I think) 392 MB
> of RAM and an ATI RAGE 128 video card and a PCI USB 2.0 card (the
> machine came with USB 1.1 which of course isn't enough).  With those
> specs:
>
> NTSC (analog) works great;
> ATSC (digital) standard definition is ok, though stumbles on occasion
> depending if there's HD on the stream;
> ATSC high definition does not work.
>
> This is all through the internal video.  I never got Myth* working
> enough to get it to act like a server.

I intend to use the HVR-1950 on MythTV to record.  But wondering if
playing the live ATSC high definition using mplayer with it's hacks to
resize the video before playing it will allow one to view live tv on a
slow CPU.

With your hint of failure with configuring for MythTV, I'll be sure to
take plenty of notes while configuring MythTV and post 'em here.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org