[pvrusb2] Bad video quality on PVR-350 and HVR-1950

Roger rogerx at sdf.lonestar.org
Fri May 15 04:18:12 CDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 22:34 -0700, stan schultz wrote:
> I had problems with my new HVR-1950 with FC10 and MythTV a few months ago.
> The way we left it was that it was probably a problem with the tuning table
> for the 1950 in my app (mythtv).  As I was using mythtv, it doesn't make
> sense that the app is wrong (I think).  But I temporarilly gave up on the
> 1950, and am lookng at my old PVR 350.  I have a "similar" but not as bad
> effect on the PVR-350.  This problem is not as bad on the 350 as the 1950.
> Both are Analog, not Digital TV.  And, as you remember, the video input from
> my camcorder via the 1950 worked great with no artifacts.  Do you have any
> ideas?  A video clip showing the bad video can be found at
> http://home.wbcable.net/~schultz/ .

Stan,

I just looked at this video and your picture signal looks excellent!

However, the signal interference or degradation you're talking about
definitely looks like some sort of interference (such as electrical or
power tool).

There are some website instructing how to rule out interference on radio
antenna reception.  (ie. Go to your breaker box and switch off each
circuit or turn-off each electrical appliance in your house to find the
offending device.)

One of my interfering devices was a vacuum kitchen Food Saver
interfering with my AM radio reception.  AM frequency is extremely
sensitive, unlike FM (or TV).  Beware of devices such as the Food Saver
which are actually "on" 24/7 while plugged-in.

Another thing to look for, is your antenna cable.  I ran RG-6 inside of
non-metallic conduit as I also have a metal roof and my low-voltage
cables run close at times to my indoor 12/2 electrical wiring.
Obviously, I'm being extra safe, but in < -40F temps, plastic wire
insulators simply crack here.  Plus, with conduit, I can just pull new
cable whenever.

Also, my telephone line ran next to my incoming electrical causing
interference ... against code to run low-voltage along side electrical.
Since I've separated the incoming telephone wire from running along side
my incoming electrical cables, drop-outs have apparently significantly
ceased.

Yea, that signal looks excellent.  Mike's the expert on this though.

Some ideas to get you trouble shooting though. :-)

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org