[pvrusb2] Terratec Grabster AV400

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sat May 16 14:28:44 CDT 2009

On Sat, 16 May 2009, Sven Barth wrote:

> Hi Mike!
>
> I got it working!! But I didn't use the cs5345... I applied the "patch" that
> Tobias Seiler reported in September:
> http://www.isely.net/pipermail/pvrusb2/2008-September/001892.html
>
> I simply changed the default value of the cx25840 (in cx25840-core.c) from
> AUDIO8 to SERIAL_AUDIO and after I compiled the module I get a normal sound.

Changing that default unfortunately is not appropriate because other
drivers use that module.

If anything, the "default" should not matter since we should be
overriding it as part of the device set up.  So I'm really puzzled here.

There's some debug code that I believe you can turn on in cx25840.ko.
Try explicitly loading the module with "debug=1" as an option.

> Did you use SERIAL_AUDIO anywhere else? Does it work there? Might following
> dmesg entry be the root of the problem?
>
> cx25840 2-0044: cx25837-23 found @ 0x88 (pvrusb2_a)
> pvrusb2: Attached sub-driver cx25840
>
> (It's similiar to the cs5345 message I posted earlier)

That message is fine.  That's just reporting that the cx25840 module has
successfully associated itself with the hardware and the pvrusb2 driver.

> I also opened my device and I didn't found a trace of a cs5345 (on both sides
> of the board). At least if it is marked as one ^^.

I was only propagating what others have told me in the past about this
device.  If anything, your last message suggested the presence of a
device at I2C address 0x22.  So there's still something there that we're
not understanding.

> Greetings,
> Sven
>
> PS: My system hanged some minutes ago, while I used mplayer to play from the
> video device and in parallel played music in moc... I will check if it is an
> issue with your driver or just the "parallel"...

Well anything is possible...