[pvrusb2] is Hauppauge 1212 HD PVR covered?

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue May 19 14:52:07 CDT 2009

On Tue, 19 May 2009, Boris Epstein wrote:

> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 3:17 PM, Michael Krufky <mkrufky at linuxtv.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Boris Epstein <borepstein at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I mean this device:
> >> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4146200&CatId=1427
> >>
> >> Tried to find out what chipset it's got inside but couldn't. Hence
> >> this question.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance for any and all help.
> >>
> >> Boris.
> >>

> > Boris,
> >
> > There is an open-source Linux driver available for the HD-PVR, but
> > this has absolutely nothing to do with the pvrusb2.
> >
> > The driver is called, "hdpvr" and it has already been submitted into
> > the upstream Linux kernel.  The driver is also available in source
> > code form, with the benefit of backwards compatibility against
> > reasonably recent kernels, in linuxtv.org master v4l-dvb development
> > repository.
> >
> > So, the answer is YES.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Mike Krufky
> >

> Hi Mike,
>
> Thanks for getting back to me.
>
> I am running OpenSuSE 11.1 (fairly recent), kernel version:
>
> [dellfluor at bepstein][/lib/modules] uname -a
> Linux dellfluor 2.6.27.21-0.1-default #1 SMP 2009-03-31 14:50:44 +0200
> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> [dellfluor at bepstein][/lib/modules]
>
> hdpvr seems to be nowhere to be found, though.
>
> Either way, it sounds a bit raw at this point if this is any indication:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HD-PVR
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Boris.

Boris:

If the driver isn't yet in the mainline kernel, then it should hardly be
surprising to not find it in your distro either.  The hdpvr driver is
relatively new.  If you want to try it you'll have to retrieve a v4l-dvb
snapshot and build it yourself.  Then you can modprobe the resulting
module(s) into your system and have a working driver.

I do not know how well documented that driver is, since of course I'm
not the maintainer for it.  At the very least, just follow the usual
instructions (look around www.linuxtv.org) for building and installing a
v4l-dvb snapshot in your system.  Once that is complete odds are
reaonably good that the driver should start doing its thing.  (Though
there might be an extra firmware step needed, but if that's the case I'd
have to think there should be an hdpvr FAQ or other documentation laying
around somewhere.)