[pvrusb2] My HVR-1950 IR Remote does work

roccomoretti roccomoretti at hotpop.com
Sat May 30 11:13:35 CDT 2009

Roger wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-05-29 at 20:42 -0800, Roger wrote:
>> My HVR-1950 IR Remote does work.

Interesting! Let's see if we can replicate it on another box. Which
version of pvrusb2 are you using? (is it just the one which came with
the kernel, or is it some other one) Which lirc kernel module are you
using? ("lsmod | grep lirc" should tell you) Would you mind posting your
lirc configuration file? (specifically /etc/lircd.conf) While you're
packing up files, could you also send the kernel messages for lirc and
pvrusb2? (the output of "dmesg |grep lirc" and "dmesg |grep pvrusb2")
(If Mike objects to sending all the information to the list, you can
send them to me privately.)

BTW, you should be able to quickly see which buttons your hardware is
picking up by using the "irw" command. It dumps the lirc input to stdout
without you having to mess with any .lircrc config file mapping.

> Are people sure they're really meaning to state, "The HVR-1950 IR
> Blaster doesn't work yet with lirc?"

Probably. As best as I can tell (I'm no expert), the IR Blaster is not
controlled by the CPU, but rather by a separate Zilog processor inside
the HVR-1950. This means that you can't send any old codes to the
blaster, you have to use a set program that's encoded in the firmware,
and vanilla lirc isn't set up to handle this. There's a guy who's made a
kernel module to control the blaster on the PVR-150
(http://www.blushingpenguin.com/mark/blog/?p=24), which is supposed to
have a similar IR control system to the HVR-1950, but I get an error
message when I try to use it and am unaware of anyone who has got it
working with the HVR-1950.

P.S. Silly question, but just to check - the HVR-1950 is the only IR
sensing device on your system, right? Is there a chance that lirc is
picking up the remote's signals on some other input?