[pvrusb2] My HVR-1950 IR Remote does work

Roger rogerx at sdf.lonestar.org
Sat May 30 15:55:01 CDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-05-30 at 11:13 -0500, roccomoretti wrote:
> Roger wrote:
> > On Fri, 2009-05-29 at 20:42 -0800, Roger wrote:
> >> My HVR-1950 IR Remote does work.
>
> Interesting! Let's see if we can replicate it on another box. Which
> version of pvrusb2 ...

Everythign you asked here is pretty much already posted within the first
message of this thread...

I'll send a copy of the first post starting this thread via your email
address in case you've missed the first post.  Yes, in kernel pvrusb2
module with external lirc drivers.

>  should be able to quickly see which buttons your hardware is
> picking up by using the "irw" command.

I already know this.  If I'm laying around the house for a few days,
I'll remap everything.  But I only get 30-60 days of warm weather here
in Arctic, so I think I'll be spending most of my time outside away from
my computer!

> > Are people sure they're really meaning to state, "The HVR-1950 IR
> > Blaster doesn't work yet with lirc?"
>
> Probably.

Yea.  I've heard a few, think it was you, whom stated they couldn't get
the simple lirc/remote working on the hvr-1950 (not the blaster or
plug-in tx device -- for which I don't need at all for the time being
myself. ;-)

> P.S. Silly question, but just to check - the HVR-1950 is the only IR
> sensing device on your system, right? Is there a chance that lirc is
> picking up the remote's signals on some other input?

This isn't as stupid sounding question as it may sound.  It's only
stupid if you're the one playing with remotes in front of two devices
without even thinking the other older pvrusb2 device is picking up the
IR signals.  ... anyways, unplugged the older pvrusb2 device and the IR
remote worked.  So, the HVR-1950 remote either has some super duper way
new experimental h/w or my box has telepathy.

My initial guesses are, grab the latest firmwares from hauppauge ... the
latest driver release is pretty knew (and use the perl extract script to
extract the firmwares).  And update your kernel and lirc drivers.
Again, the latest lirc drivers appear pretty new too.

Most whom complain about something that doesn't work, are usually using
a binary distro which doesn't have the latest available binary packages
installed.  And some, will have a decade old distribution installed.

Here's a small clipping of the (very important) i2c scan within dmesg.

tuner' 2-0042: chip found @ 0x84 (pvrusb2_b)
cx25840' 2-0044: cx25843-24 found @ 0x88 (pvrusb2_b)
pvrusb2_b: i2c scan beginning
pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x19
pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x1a
pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x42
pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x44
pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x51
pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x70
pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x71
pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x72
pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x73
pvrusb2_b: i2c scan done.

One of these addresses is for the IR receiver and the other (one or two)
is for the plugin IR transmitter.  (From the additional i2c addresses &
looking at the contacts on the plugin IR transmitter, the plugin IR
blaster can both receive & transmit?)

All other lirc configuration files are the same ones I had initially
setup to work with an old pvrusb2 device, including the added
$HOME/.mythtv/lircrc file.   Hasn't changed for years.  I just simply
plugged this device in & the remote works.

roccomoretti, make sure you're kernel & lirc are up to date and/or check
for the i2c addresses posted above.  Might also want to post your box
h/w version too if it's different from mine.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org