[pvrusb2] My HVR-1950 IR Remote does work

Roger rogerx at sdf.lonestar.org
Sat May 30 16:38:36 CDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-05-30 at 12:55 -0800, Roger wrote:

> Here's a small clipping of the (very important) i2c scan within dmesg.
>
> tuner' 2-0042: chip found @ 0x84 (pvrusb2_b)
> cx25840' 2-0044: cx25843-24 found @ 0x88 (pvrusb2_b)
> pvrusb2_b: i2c scan beginning
> pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x19
> pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x1a
> pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x42
> pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x44
> pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x51
> pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x70
> pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x71
> pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x72
> pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x73
> pvrusb2_b: i2c scan done.
>

> One of these addresses is for the IR receiver and the other (one or two)
> is for the plugin IR transmitter.  (From the additional i2c addresses &
> looking at the contacts on the plugin IR transmitter, the plugin IR
> blaster can both receive & transmit?)

Sorry.  I posted the above log before noting MythTV wasn't picking-up
the hvr-1950.  (And, of course, Mike wants full debug output for good
debugging, but I want to leaf through some of it & re-verify and post to
a separate thread once I organize my thoughts.)

This is wicked.  I've got two diff i2c scans after an hvr-1950 unplugged
& plugged (cold start of the hvr-1950).

The initial i2c scan when this linux box is turned on and both, pvrusb2
& hvr-1950 are initially initialized and shows more i2c addresses found.

# dmesg |grep pvrusb2_b
tuner' 2-0042: chip found @ 0x84 (pvrusb2_b)
cx25840' 2-0044: cx25843-24 found @ 0x88 (pvrusb2_b)
pvrusb2_b: i2c scan beginning
pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x19
pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x1a
pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x42
pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x44
pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x51
pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x70
pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x71
pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x72
pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x73
pvrusb2_b: i2c scan done.

The second i2c scan listed is after the hvr-1950 is unplugged/plugged
(cold started) while the box is on.

# dmesg |grep pvrusb2_b
tuner' 2-0042: chip found @ 0x84 (pvrusb2_b)
cx25840' 2-0044: cx25843-24 found @ 0x88 (pvrusb2_b)
pvrusb2_b: i2c scan beginning
pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x42
pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x44
pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x51
pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x70
pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x71
pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x72
pvrusb2_b: i2c scan: found device @ 0x73
pvrusb2_b: i2c scan done.

On the first scan, only the old pvrusb2 is usable by MythTV while the
hvr-1950 is unusable by Mythtv.

On replug of the hvr-1950, it is then usable by MythTV and, of course,
the IR remote works.

So, roccomoretti, verify you've got similar i2c addresses (with my above
second i2c scan). Once these are found, any other part of the pvrusb2
driver debug messages are really irrelevant as lirc handles everything
else after this.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org