[pvrusb2] WinTV-HVR-1950 will not load firmware

Ken Bass kbass at kenbass.com
Fri Oct 23 13:51:52 CDT 2009

I just recently bought a WinTV-HVR-1950. I went the USB route thinking
it would be simple plug and play, so far a real PITA. I'm running Fedora
11. The label on the box bottom says 75111 LF, Rev C3E9

The fwextract.pl script was unable to find drivers from the CDROM. Can I
really be the first person using this USB device? I thought it has been
out for about 16 months already. I would love to smack Hauppauge upside
the head for making this so difficult for Linux users.

Since the fwextract.pl script did not work, I had to go through the
hassle of rebuilding a Fedora 11 kernel to enable the
CONFIG_VIDEO_PVRUSB2_DEBUGIFC driver option.

I jumped through all the hoops of booting Windows, USB snooping and FX2
capture thanks to the details instructions at isely.net.

However, it still does not work. I only get this far now...

usb 1-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
usb 1-4: New USB device found, idVendor=2040, idProduct=7501
usb 1-4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 1-4: Product: WinTV
usb 1-4: Manufacturer: Hauppauge
usb 1-4: SerialNumber: 7300-00-F0XXXXXX
Linux video capture interface: v2.00
usbcore: registered new interface driver pvrusb2
pvrusb2: V4L in-tree version:Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2 MPEG2 Encoder/Tuner
pvrusb2: Debug mask is 31 (0x1f)
usb 1-4: firmware: requesting v4l-pvrusb2-73xxx-01.fw
pvrusb2: Device microcontroller firmware (re)loaded; it should now reset
and reconnect.

It does not appear that is ever reconnects since that is the last entry
in the log file.

One thing that was odd during is that fw_extract.pl --search did not
find anything for fw2 (file v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw) [It took a LONG time].
However, after I added the fw1/fw3 items to the fwextract.pl contenInfo
and reran fw_extract.pl, it found a hit for fw2 in the contentinfo.
Sounds like there might be a problem with the search/fuzzy search?

If I boot Windows first and then reboot into Fedora 11, the driver loads
(however the red light goes out). So this tells me something might be
wrong with the firmware/firmware download process.

usb 1-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
usb 1-4: New USB device found, idVendor=2040, idProduct=7501
usb 1-4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 1-4: Product: WinTV
usb 1-4: Manufacturer: Hauppauge
usb 1-4: SerialNumber: 7300-00-F0XXXXXX
usbcore: registered new interface driver pvrusb2
pvrusb2: V4L in-tree version:Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2 MPEG2 Encoder/Tuner
pvrusb2: Debug mask is 31 (0x1f)
cx25840 1-0044: cx25843-24 found @ 0x88 (pvrusb2_a)
pvrusb2: Attached sub-driver cx25840
tuner 1-0042: chip found @ 0x84 (pvrusb2_a)
pvrusb2: Attached sub-driver tuner
pvrusb2: Supported video standard(s) reported available in hardware:
PAL-M/N/Nc;NTSC-M/Mj/Mk;ATSC-8VSB/16VSB
pvrusb2: Mapping standards mask=0x300b700
(PAL-M/N/Nc;NTSC-M/Mj/Mk;ATSC-8VSB/16VSB)
pvrusb2: Setting up 6 unique standard(s)
pvrusb2: Set up standard idx=0 name=PAL-M
pvrusb2: Set up standard idx=1 name=PAL-N
pvrusb2: Set up standard idx=2 name=PAL-Nc
pvrusb2: Set up standard idx=3 name=NTSC-M
pvrusb2: Set up standard idx=4 name=NTSC-Mj
pvrusb2: Set up standard idx=5 name=NTSC-Mk
pvrusb2: Initial video standard (determined by device type): NTSC-M
pvrusb2: Device initialization completed successfully.
pvrusb2: registered device video0 [mpeg]
DVB: registering new adapter (pvrusb2-dvb)

Next, if I type
v4l2-ctl -d0 --all

I see the following:
cx25840 1-0044: firmware: requesting v4l-cx25840.fw
cx25840 1-0044: loaded v4l-cx25840.fw firmware (16382 bytes)
usb 1-4: firmware: requesting v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw

So I am unsure from the logs if the v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw was ever loaded.
However, a cat /dev/video0 > test.ts 'works' at that point (including
audio).

I also tried the current standalone driver (pvrusb2: 20091011 (from
www.isely.net):Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2 MPEG2 Encoder/Tuner) with the
same result.