[pvrusb2] WinTV-HVR-1950 will not load firmware

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Fri Oct 23 16:24:07 CDT 2009

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009, Ken Bass wrote:

> Michael Krufky wrote:
> >
> > Mike,
> >
> > Are you sure this isn't the "dont disconnect from usb" problem that
> > you fixed a few months ago?
> >
> Is that in the tuner/demod part of the software? Because as I said in my
> original message, I tried his very latest standalone with the same effect as
> the in kernel driver. (Both using the Fedora 11 kernel though).

Ken:

One thing which seriously complicates this picture is that there's
really multiple drivers involved.  The pvrusb2 driver is just the most
visible piece - but it relies on help from a lot of other drivers within
v4l-dvb to make the device work correctly.  What Mike Krufky is talking
about involves recent bug fixes to one of those other drivers, which is
why using the standalone pvrusb2 driver doesn't make any difference in
that case.  But in your case failure to load the FX2 firmware trumps
everything.  Without that FX2 firmware absolutely nothing else is going
to work - the other drivers don't even come into play at that stage.

This sort of situation is true of most v4l-dvb drivers in that
subsystem.  It isn't unique to the pvrusb2 driver.