[pvrusb2] Aspect ratio trouble

Carsten Meier cm at trexity.de
Tue Sep 1 04:40:20 CDT 2009

Am Tue, 1 Sep 2009 02:04:28 -0500 (CDT)
schrieb Mike Isely <isely at isely.net>:

> I think the problem you may be having is that the video content
> already has the black bars embedded in it, i.e. the broadcast station
> is actually sending you 16:9 content in a 4:3 frame and filling in
> the black bars themselves - also known as letterboxing.  What you
> really need actually is "anamorphic" video from the station where
> they horizontally squish the 16:9 content into a 4:3 frame and then
> send the WSS signal to tell the TV to stretch it back and locally
> generate the letterbox frame.  But it sounds like they aren't doing
> that. Anamorphic+WSS won't work properly on older TVs and TV stations
> may prefer to letterbox rather than use anamorphic with WSS if they
> are trying to stay compatible with such older TVs (but of course at
> the cost of a lot of wasted vertical resolution sending those black
> bars).
>
> If that isn't the cause, I don't know what is.
>
>   -Mike

Hi,

this is the PALplus-thing we already had some discussion about. (I guess
so, because of the authors .de-postfix in his e-mail-address) The
additional lines to reconstruct an anamorphic image are hidden in the
black letterbox-bars and aren't decoded by pvrusb2. This format is
advertised as 16:9 in Germany.

Cheers,
Carsten