[pvrusb2] HVR-1950 stopped working.

Roger rogerx at sdf.lonestar.org
Fri Sep 18 14:51:04 CDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-09-18 at 05:48 -0700, Nicholas Robbins wrote:

> > This is a problem.  Seems like you're missing the
> > tuner module you need.
> > That would be a .config problem.  Are you *sure* you
> > used the same
> > .config?  Is it possible that maybe you had added that
> > module somehow
> > later?
>
> I don't know. All I can tell you is that I copied the .config from where I had put it before. I looked around in menuconfig, and found the driver for tda18271 under "Device Drivers -> Multimedia Devices -> Customize analog and Hybrid tuners to build"  I enabled this option and just to be safe I  then selected all the tuners. Perhaps whichever logic in the kernel build code decides which of these to build automagically wasn't doing its magic?
>
> So far this seems to have worked.  Catting /dev/video now produces a picture. However, the ctl_channel interface still doesn't work.  I'm at work now, and I don't have the time to check to see if MythTV can get it to work, I may have time this afternoon, but not for extensive debug. I'll let you know if this fixed all the behavior, otherwise I can put more time in on Sunday.

When upgrading kernels from 2.6.29 to 2.6.30, and maybe even to 2.6.31, you must first run "make oldconfig" when using an old .config file.

Second of all when upgrading these kernels, seems like the .config
format is getting changed-up a bit, causing the Multimedia section to
ask again to enable itself and/or the pvrusb2 sections.  So, when
performing "make oldconfig", make sure you watch for the relevant
Multimedia  and/or pvrusb2 sections.

(It sounds confusing because I'm writing this as I'm just waking up, but
it really isn't. :-/ )

(Seems like your email client isn't wrapping lines and is putting
everything on one line... or is it me?  If it's me, thinking of just
going to a CLI email client.  Already have for the browser --
Elinks. ;-)

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org