[pvrusb2] HVR-1950 stopped working.

Nicholas Robbins nickrobbins at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 18 16:42:24 CDT 2009

I'm not sure we need to keep having this conversation, since everything seems to be working, but here we go:

--- On Fri, 9/18/09, Roger <rogerx at sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> > > This is a problem.  Seems like you're
> missing the
> > > tuner module you need.
> > > That would be a .config problem.  Are you
> *sure* you
> > > used the same
> > > .config?  Is it possible that maybe you had
> added that
> > > module somehow
> > > later?
> >
> > I don't know. All I can tell you is that I copied the
> .config from where I had put it before. I looked around in
> menuconfig, and found the driver for tda18271 under "Device
> Drivers -> Multimedia Devices -> Customize analog and
> Hybrid tuners to build"  I enabled this option and just
> to be safe I  then selected all the tuners. Perhaps
> whichever logic in the kernel build code decides which of
> these to build automagically wasn't doing its magic?
> >
> > So far this seems to have worked.  Catting
> /dev/video now produces a picture. However, the ctl_channel
> interface still doesn't work.  I'm at work now, and I
> don't have the time to check to see if MythTV can get it to
> work, I may have time this afternoon, but not for extensive
> debug. I'll let you know if this fixed all the behavior,
> otherwise I can put more time in on Sunday.
>
> When upgrading kernels from 2.6.29 to 2.6.30, and maybe
> even to 2.6.31, you must first run "make oldconfig" when
> using an old .config file.
>
> Second of all when upgrading these kernels, seems like the
> .config
> format is getting changed-up a bit, causing the Multimedia
> section to
> ask again to enable itself and/or the pvrusb2
> sections.  So, when
> performing "make oldconfig", make sure you watch for the
> relevant
> Multimedia  and/or pvrusb2 sections.

I know this. when I do an actual upgrade, I spend quite a bit of time, looking at the differences between the .configs, and making sure everything I need is still in there even if the option has moved or renamed itself.

That is not what happened here. When I say "I copied the old .config" I mean I copied the .config from the my previous working 2.6.26 kernel, to the build directory where I rebuilt my 2.6.26 kernel to try and go back from 2.6.30, which broke my other tuner. At the end of the day this is what I did.

1) Starting mucking around (upgrading to 2.6.30) with a working setup in order to get the remote to work with the 1950, (My other remote has seen better days, but for now I'll live.)

2) This broke another tuner. I investigated getting this other tuner to work. Gave up and decided to revert.

3) Upon reverting to 2.6.26, my 1950 stoped working.

4) I then decided to clean things as much as possible, hence I rebuilt all the modules. No luck, removed the modules in /lib/modules. No luck. Rebuilt kernel, no luck. All this with the same .config that had worked fine with 2.6.26.

5) Posted to list, got reply, added all those extra tuner modules, now it works.

> (It sounds confusing because I'm writing this as I'm just
> waking up, but
> it really isn't. :-/ )
>
> (Seems like your email client isn't wrapping lines and is
> putting
> everything on one line... or is it me?  If it's me,
> thinking of just
> going to a CLI email client.  Already have for the
> browser --
> Elinks. ;-)

I don't know I use yahoo mail for all my mailing lists, so, talk to them.

Anyway, everything is working now. I might try some weekend to get the remote working, but I don't have too much hope for that. And maintainence of the driver for my other tuner is mostly abdondoned at this point, so  I don't expect to ever be upgrading my kernels. (Until comcast pulls the plug on my analog cable.)

-Nick