[pvrusb2] HVR-1950 stopped working.

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Fri Sep 18 23:12:15 CDT 2009

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009, Nicholas Robbins wrote:

> I'm not sure we need to keep having this conversation, since everything seems to be working, but here we go:
>
> --- On Fri, 9/18/09, Roger <rogerx at sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
>
> I know this. when I do an actual upgrade, I spend quite a bit of time,
> looking at the differences between the .configs, and making sure
> everything I need is still in there even if the option has moved or
> renamed itself.

Way back around 1995 it was possible to visually inspect a .config and
look for changes.  These days that is simply impractical - too much
stuff.

> That is not what happened here. When I say "I copied the old .config"
> I mean I copied the .config from the my previous working 2.6.26
> kernel, to the build directory where I rebuilt my 2.6.26 kernel to try
> and go back from 2.6.30, which broke my other tuner. At the end of the
> day this is what I did.

When you move a .config file between kernel versions, things can be
changed.  Options might go away, new ones might appear, or existing
options might be renamed.  If you just copy a .config from one kernel
version to another, there is going to be some information loss due to
these changes.  What I usually do is similar to what Roger said:

1. Copy my old .config into the new kernel tree.

2. Run "make oldconfig" and answer all the questions.

3. Now run "make menuconfig" or "make xconfig" and correct anything that
I think needs correcting.

Step 2 can be lengthy, but it's useful because it's going to stop and
ask you for any options that weren't previously set in the .config file.
Thus you can use that method to make sure you see anything that is new
or changed.  Step 3 for me is normally pretty quick, and I usually end
up hitting because I messed up something in step 2 and didn't want to
start it over :-)

> 1) Starting mucking around (upgrading to 2.6.30) with a working setup
> in order to get the remote to work with the 1950, (My other remote has
> seen better days, but for now I'll live.)
>
> 2) This broke another tuner. I investigated getting this other tuner
> to work. Gave up and decided to revert.
>
> 3) Upon reverting to 2.6.26, my 1950 stoped working.
>
> 4) I then decided to clean things as much as possible, hence I rebuilt
> all the modules. No luck, removed the modules in /lib/modules. No
> luck. Rebuilt kernel, no luck. All this with the same .config that had
> worked fine with 2.6.26.

But in your other kernel, the options might have changed name or gone
away or new things might have appeared...

> 5) Posted to list, got reply, added all those extra tuner modules, now
> it works.

Yes, in the end all that matters is that you got it going again.

  [...]

> Anyway, everything is working now. I might try some weekend to get the
> remote working, but I don't have too much hope for that. And
> maintainence of the driver for my other tuner is mostly abdondoned at
> this point, so I don't expect to ever be upgrading my kernels. (Until
> comcast pulls the plug on my analog cable.)

I swore off cable 20 years ago.  I am 40 miles west of Chicago, but with
my nice big antenna in my attic tied to a high quality pre-amp, I get
everything perfectly clear.  Yeah, not as much variety as a cable
subscription, but I already don't have enough hours in the day for
everything I want to do.  The wife and kids actually use my MythTV
system far more than I do.