[pvrusb2] HVR-1950 on the SheevaPlug (Ubuntu Jaunty)

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Sep 27 23:11:27 CDT 2009

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009, Kai Boenke wrote:

> > While I'm glad to hear that compiling as modules now works better for
> > you, I'm a little puzzled as to why things didn't work when the driver
> > was compiled into the kernel.  That should have worked.
> >
> > Can ANYONE else here reproduce this issue?  (Said another way: Can
> > anyone verify correct pvrusb2 driver operation when the driver is
> > compiled into the kernel?)
>
> I have been trying to get my Hauppauge-USB DVB-T Tuner running for the
> last couple of days. However, having everything compiled into my kernel
> (2.6.31-06456-g78f28b7 running Debian Squeeze on a SheevaPlug) I just
> stumbled upon the same error ("Unable to find symbol tda18271_attach()"):

  [...]

> DVB: Unable to find symbol tda18271_attach()
> tda829x 0-0042: type set to tda8295+18271

This specific error is because the tuner module component for that chip
is missing from your kernel.

The earlier issue in this thread (just went back and checked) was that
the driver wasn't being associated at all with the hardware.  The root
cause for this was never figured out - he just switched to building
everything as modules and the problem went away.  But one thing I wonder
about his case now is if perhaps he was running an older kernel that
didn't support the HVR-1950 (thus it would not have been recognized).
He was targeting an ARM environment so the kernel might have been older.
But that's just a wild guess and if he compiled the *same* kernel
version again when he did the modular build then the problem still
should have happened.

In your case you are already past what stopped him.  The driver is
definitely being associated otherwise you would never have gotten far
enough to trigger the problem you are seeing.  One thing I am wondering
about however is this: If you just set your .config to compile
everything in then the fact that you selected the pvrusb2 driver should
have triggered a dependency that pulled in the other pieces that you
need.  Thus this problem should not have happened.  On the other hand,
there is a v4l-dvb configuration option you can set in your .config that
overrides this automatic behavior - the choice is there so that you can
directly select all the other components which is still a useful thing
if the driver you are building is out-of-tree.  Does this ring any bells
with you?

> usb 1-1: firmware: requesting v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw
>
> As this was the only place mentioning this problem I am quite unsure
> whether I am just missing something or if this is just a very isolated
> problem. Nevertheless, any help will be appreciated. If I can provide
> any further information to help pinpointing the problem I will be glad
> to do so.

You're definitely missing a key part of the tuner module.

> PS: Sorry if there is something odd with this Mail. This is actually my
> first post to a Mailing-List... *blush*

Welcome to my world :-)