[pvrusb2] HVR-1950 on the SheevaPlug (Ubuntu Jaunty)

Kai Boenke kboenke at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 29 14:52:35 CDT 2009

2009/9/29 Mike Isely <isely at isely.net>:
> On Tue, 29 Sep 2009, Kai Boenke wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>> pvrusb2: Device initialization completed successfully.
>> pvrusb2: registered device video0 [mpeg]
>
> When you see that "registered" message, the driver has basically
> finished its initialization - successfully.  This is a good thing.  Now
> there are still other things going on (see further)...

Thanks for the insights. As of /dev/video0 you are absolutely right:
It works. I just went ahead and tested it successfully. Hence as for
the drive your are correct as well. :-)

However, there is something else which I was referring to without
mentioning it. But this might actually not be a problem with pvrusb2
itself.

>> Sadly, this is where it stops. There is no error-message for what
>> might happen after the file get requested. Looks like I will have to
>> compile debug-output into the Kernel to get a deeper insight? The
>> Firmware-Files however are in place:
>
> It stopped there because the driver is waiting for you to do something,
> i.e. open it and use it :-)

I am missing my DVB-Device completely. Neither /dev/dvb nor anything
similar are available. /sys/dvb is empty and dmesg does not mention it
at all. Someone else had an output like this:

[   21.405976] pvrusb2: registered device video1 [mpeg]
[   21.405980] DVB: registering new adapter (pvrusb2-dvb)

However, I could not find anything related to pvrusb2-dvb. Here are
the DVB-settings of my kernel:

$ grep -i dvb .config
CONFIG_DVB_CORE=y
CONFIG_VIDEOBUF_DVB=y