[pvrusb2] Spammer managed to hit pvrusb2 list

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Apr 13 18:57:12 CDT 2010

Hi,

You all might have seen the spam post on this list from
mnyerges at gmail.com.  That is actually the *first* time since the
creation of this list that a spammer has managed to get through.
Sigh...  Let me tell you a bit about what happened and what this list
does to defend against spammers.

As you all know, the pvrusb2 list only allows posts from actual
subscribers.  This is the list's primary defense against spammers.
Since this list isn't all that large (161 subscribers) I don't believe
it's been tempting enough of a target for one of those pond scum
spammers to expend the manual effort needed to subscribe first.  And
believe me, I have seen COUNTLESS attempts to spam this list using
non-subscribed addresses.  If a non-subscriber attempts to post, the
list softare will bounce the message back to the sender with an apology
about the requirement to subscribe first along with an explanation.

So how did that post get onto the list?

Well it's not a perfect system.  Obviously a determined enough spammer
could attempt to subscribe anyway and spew to the list.  Were that to
happen I'd ban him instantly, but unfortunately at least one such
message would get through first.  But that's not what actually happened
here.

The "only-subscribers-can-post" rule is not exactly bullet-proof.  The
mailing list software basically looks at the from: address and if it
names a subscriber, the post is let through.  Matt has been a subscriber
to this list since 24-Jan-2007, and obviously he's been a good citizen
that entire time.  The headers would seem to suggest that the post
likely came from elsewhere.  So this is probably a case of the spammer
joe-jobbing mnyerges at gmail.com and just getting lucky because he also
happened to include the pvrusb2 posting address in his spew list.

When I saw the spam message, I first just banned the address.  But then
I looked deeper and upon realizing he's been here for 3 years I
concluded that this probably wasn't his fault.  So for now I
resubscribed him to the list but he's on moderation until I hear from
him and get some assurance that it really wasn't his fault.

Going forward in time, this is probably going to happen more.  I really
hope not, but it might.  I already also run a grey list on isely.net,
which also knocks the spam influx down *enormously*, but those
scum-of-the-internet spammers will probably still get lucky every once
in a while.  If this starts to become a real problem, then I will react
by putting the entire list on moderation, as a last manual defense
against these jerks.  That will be annoying, but the traffic level here
is low enough that I think I can deal with it.  Maybe somebody else
might also help out and be a moderator, if it comes to that.

Anyway, that I guess is a long way of saying sorry about what got posted
and I'm doing my best to keep that under control.