[pvrusb2] HVR-1950 IR outlook

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sat Apr 24 15:54:59 CDT 2010

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010, Nicholas Robbins wrote:

> So yesterday I spent an afternoon upgrading my kernel to 2.6.31. I was
> very happy to see that everything kept working great! Except lirc. I
> then recalled the discussion here some time ago about the status of ir
> support on the HVR-1950. My understanding is that Mike says:
>
> "pvrusb2 is doing everything right and proper. The DVB/V4L people have
> shaken some things up and the lirc people haven't caught up."

Well that's still correct but the shakeup was a while ago so the LIRC
side might be caught up by now.  I hope...

> If this is the case what is our best bet? Keep checking to see if lirc
> releases a new version?

Yes.  There's nothing else AFAIK to be done on the pvrusb2 size.

With HVR-1950 you have one other wrinkle to deal with.  The IR chip in
this device is also the IR transmitter.  I don't know of anyone who has
gotten the transmit side to work.  Again, this is outside the realm of
the pvrusb2 driver itself - I just make the chip accessible.  Last I
heard about this (and the information is WAY old by now), there was
support in LIRC for the IR chip that the HVR-1950 uses however
apparently the chip needs firmware loaded (by the corresponding driver)
and that the particular firmware needed in the HVR-1950 "environment"
does not match what the LIRC driver is trying to load.

Anyone reading this please post corrections to that summary if you have
more recent info.