[pvrusb2] HVR-1900 dvb-t problems

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sat Mar 20 06:54:19 CDT 2010

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010, Pietro Popoli wrote:

> I did some tests on loading the firmware dvb-fe-tda10048-1.0.fw.
>
> I used the firmware downloaded from
> http://tw1965.myweb.hinet.net/Linux/firmware.tar.gz.
>
> The upload of the firmware is required, if not already loaded into the
> HVR-1900, when an application DVB-T is launched.
>
> This is the output of dmesg:
> tda10048_firmware_upload: waiting for firmware upload
> (dvb-fe-tda10048-1.0.fw)...
> usb 1-4.1: firmware: requesting dvb-fe-tda10048-1.0.fw
> tda10048_firmware_upload: firmware read 24878 bytes.
> tda10048_firmware_upload: firmware uploading
> tda10048_firmware_upload: firmware uploaded
>
> In my version of the HVR-1900 73219 LF REV D1F5 after loading the firmware
> dvb-fe-tda10048-1.0.fw DVB-T still does not work.
>
> I followed the suggestions of Leonardo Muffatti (post
> http://www.isely.net/pipermail/pvrusb2/2010-February/002729.html) I thank
> very much for sending me the necessary changes in sources of V4L.
>
> With the changes of Leonardo now dvb-t works.
>
> Leonardo also sent me his version of the firmware dvb-fe-tda10048-1.0.fw
> different from those found on the web.
> I tried both firmware. It seems to me, but it could be a subjective feeling,
> that with the firmware of Leonardo the video is more smooth.
> Thank to Aljaž, Leonardo and Mike for their cooperation.

The very next message on that thread was a post by me relaying
information from Mike Krufky to the effect that what Leonardo did should
not have been needed, that the required changes have been in v4l-dvb for
over a year by that point.  I had requested that he at least try v4l-dvb
tip.  Leonardo replied that he would try it, but I don't see any other
reply.

So from where I'm sitting this is still unresolved.  Somebody with one
of these tuners needs to verify that v4l-dvb tip works properly.  I
can't do this; I don't have that hardware here.  (Even if I did I'm in
the USA so I also don't have a compatible signal source with which to
test this.)