[pvrusb2] AVC-3610 Support??

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Nov 14 21:13:31 CST 2010

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010, Bjorn de la Cour wrote:

> Hey Mike,
>
>    I give up on trying to photograph the insides of the AVC-3610, I
> have tried. My Camera isn't good enough. I might get one new for the
> xmas but that's a ways away. So, If you want me do something else with
> the AVC-3610 I'll see if I can do it. Or if you want I can just send
> the Damn AVC-3510 and you can work on it sometime in 2011.

Oh, sorry to hear that.  I really didn't think it would be that
difficult.  These days I figured any modern point-and-shoot with a macro
mode (the flower icon in the shooting mode list) should do it.  The
pictures I've taken:

http://www.isely.net/gallery2/v/PVR+Hardware/

were done with a DSLR bought back in 2005 (along with a cheap halogen
desk lamp for illumination).

If you want to send me the AVC-3610 I'll take a shot at it.  However
right now for the next few months I am totally swamped on another
project (this one pays bills).  So no hurry.  I am interested in trying
to integrate support for this device however because you're not the
first one to ask.  If you'd like to do that we can exchange direct
contact information off the list (e-mail to isely at pobox.com or
isely at isely.net or both)

> BTW there are two of the following NOT one like my earlier email stated.
>
>  Conexant
>  CX25840-23
>
>  CY7C68013-
>  100DC 0519
>  I think it's a Cypress Chip from the logo.

Ah!  That's *very* useful to know.  My concern about this device is how
a single FX2 (that's the Cypress chip) could be handling two video
paths.  The answer to that would likely involve a lot of strange custom
firmware which would make it hard to provide support.  However if you
have two of those FX2 parts (and two the CX25840 parts - the video
digitizer and audio processor) then the whole thing makes a lot more
sense now.

I'd be willing to bet that you also have a tiny little USB hub on the
PCB there somewhere and that when you plug in the device, the usbview
program probably shows a new hub appearing with two instances of this
device (each corresponding to one of the FX2 microcontrollers).

> I wish that I could have been more helpful.

That last bit about the extra chips present was very helpful actually.
You just significantly raised the odds that I can get the pvrusb2 driver
to work with it!