[pvrusb2] problem with a hvr-1900

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Fri Sep 10 22:04:06 CDT 2010

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010, Tomas Hylander wrote:

> strange, even if it says that root was the owner I coulnt do anything.
> Changed so all could read and write so now it works, sort of...

(see previous reply)

> I can change inputs and so but now Im only getting black...
> Tried changing to s-video and connected from my sat but still black.
> Changed back to television but still black...
> Tried changing frequency with
>
> sudo echo "210.250" >ctl_frequency/cur_val
> echo: write error: Invalid argument

That didn't work because an integer value is expected ("." is not a
legal character).

> sudo echo "210250" >ctl_frequency/cur_val
> echo: write error: Numerical result out of range

And that didn't work because the frequency is expected in units of Hz,
not KHz (or MHz which you first had tried).  It interpreted what you
entered as 210250 Hz and complained that the value was outside the
allowed range of the tuner (far too low).  You were getting close with
your second attempt - you just gave up too soon.

> How do I enter the frequency?

This should work (just scale it up to the right units):

echo 210250000 >ctl_frequency/cur_val

> Looks strange thats I just getting black...no noise.

Right, so the fact that you are getting data at all means that the video
pipeline is probably working but you don't have a signal to lock onto
because it's not tuned correctly.