[pvrusb2] HVR-1950 IR Remote Confirmed Working!

Robert J. Lynn, Jr. rjlynn at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 22:10:37 CDT 2010

Hi guys,

I just got an email back from Mike Isely after I let him know I was able to
get my HVR-1950's IR remote working. I haven't worked on the blaster as I
don't need it for my configuration. He asked me to let the mailing list know
how I got it working, so that Google picks it up.

I'm using mythbuntu and had to do some hackery to get it to let me build a
working module. I had to build my own kernel to get the driver to build
correctly, but I'm assuming, if you've made it this far, you can figure out
how to compile the driver.

After getting the latest driver snapshot (20100708) from the pvrusb2
website, I built and installed the module, loading it no options (as it
happens, I gave Mike incorrect instructions, you /don't/ need to tell it to
disable the ir_kbd_i2c driver.

Next, I downloaded the latest lirc driver from their website, 0.8.7, release
9/6/2010. After building it, I loaded the lirc_i2c module, and you should
see the following in dmesg:

[   24.412548] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 61
[   27.599989] lirc_i2c: chip 0x0 found @ 0x71 (Hauppauge PVR150)
[   27.599998] lirc_dev: lirc_register_driver: sample_rate: 10

Use the Hauppauge lircd.conf. I don't know if it came from the driver
itself, or if it was left over from the Mythbuntu lirc package. It sees the
remote as the gray HVR-350 remote.

The remote is now working perfectly in both xbmc and mythtv. Good luck!