[pvrusb2] HVR-1950 IR Support

Roger rogerx.oss at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 10:51:47 CST 2011

>Anyways, my MPlayer input.conf recognizes forward/backward seek buttons, but
>am stumped how to configure any of the other buttons of the remote.  Although
>"cat /dev/input/event7" shows button activity, am wondering if I need the
>userspace programs from lirc (ie. irw, etc) to configure the buttons further
>or to be able to understand what button names are being sent OR if there is

OK. This is what I have so far.

1) Select & compile in-kernel lirc main driver.  (No IR drivers need to be
selected for the HVR-1950.)  Also select "Compile Remote Controller keymap
modules" so irw reports events with button names instead of requiring an lircrc
file?  (Not sure if I'm correct on these keymaps, but it sounds good. ;-)

CONFIG_LIRC=y
CONFIG_IR_LIRC_CODEC=y
CONFIG_RC_MAP=y         # Needed???
CONFIG_RC_LOOPBACK=y    # Needed???

2) Compile lirc with "devinput" driver.

3) Make sure the pvrusb2 driver is loaded and registers an i2c device with the
HVR-1950 IR device.  Find it by doing and pressing a few buttons on the remote:

# cat /dev/input/event8

(You'll need to find the specific assigned device number.)

4) Use the following two commands within two separate shells, in the specified
order.  (One as root, the other as user)

# lircd -n -H dev/input -d /dev/input/event8

$ irw

irw should generate some nicely formated button events

*NOTE: If you use either the /dev/lirc0 or /dev/i2c-4 device, some button may
be reported, but many will be missed or repeated.  I'm seeing very poor
performance compared to using the "event" interface.

*TODO: How do I map /dev/input/event8 when there is no /dev/input/by-id path as
/dev/input/event? will change at each reboot?

>From here, things should be trivial to further configure, such as using
.mplayer/input.conf, etc.

-- Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/