[pvrusb2] HVR-1950 IR Support

Roger rogerx.oss at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 06:56:53 CST 2011

For HVR-1950 lirc mplayer support - not using mplayer's default devinput and
using lirc's devinput driver, I've configured using the following steps:

1) Recompile mplayer with lirc support. (I think this makes mplayer ignore the
devinput events and will look for /dev/lirc0 events instead.)

2) Compile lirc userspace package with devinput driver.

3) Auto load the following modules in /etc/conf.d/modules during boot:
modules="ir-kbd-i2c lirc_dev.ko rc-loopback ir-lirc-codec.ko rc-lirc"

4) Have a /etc/lirc/lircd & $HOME/.lircrc files.  And /etc/conf.d/lirc has the
previously mentioned:
LIRCD_OPTS="-H devinput -d name=*HVR-1950*"

5) irw should show events and mplayer now should recognize IR events as
configured in $HOME/.lircrc.

NOTE: Removing the pvrusb2 device or module while the lirc daemon is started
will cause subsequent pvrusb2 reattachments to fail initializing and creating
the /dev/dvb devices!  I am not sure if using the in-kernel lirc_zilog.c
staging driver will solve this at all as it does still attach itself to the
pvrusb2 driver.  This issue has always completely hindered my usage of the
pvrusb2 remote control as I would never know when I would detach/reattach
whether accidentally or intentionally.  (Think the Windows driver might
activate a script to unattach the IR daemon before loading it's hvr-1950
driver?)

Any further suggestions from here?  Should I experiment with the zilog driver?

(I'll probably spend the next few hours configuring the only additional button
I need, KEY_EXIT -- KEY_PAUSE KEY_PLAY and seek buttons already already worked
with mplayer's devinput interface but need to be reconfigured using the lirc
daemon.)

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/