[pvrusb2] HVR-1950 IR Support

Roger rogerx.oss at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 05:06:12 CST 2011

With the lirc driver compiled statically into the kernel, seems MPlayer is
pulling IR key/button events straight from the /dev/input/event interface with
no need for lirc userspace daemon, lirc userspace package or configuring any
lirc relevant configuration files.

And somewhere, the remote's button events are configured statically for
triggering MPlayer events.  ~/.lircrc and /etc/lirc/* files appear irrelevant.

I saw one wiki/howto page stating something about blacklisting an lirc core
module to prevent double key/button detection.  I'm guessing this is required
if you want to use the lirc userspace package (with devinput driver) and your
lircrc files.

For now, I'm going to focus on using the kernel lirc module and making mplayer
recognize the other currently unrecognized remote buttons.

But I'm seeing three methods or interfaces to use the HVR-1950 IR
receiver/remote device.

1) ir-kbd-i2c (i2c device)

2) devinput (Only requires in kernel lirc module) to work with MPlayer

3) lirc_zilog (Linux Kernel Staging Drivers drivers/staging/linux/lirc) will
also interface with the pvrusb2 driver.

So many methods, yet devinput seems to be the more future method then the
others -- yet no method to configure buttons without using lirc userspace?

Confused.  Hate to say it, but this looks like a mess!

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/