[pvrusb2] rebuild question

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Mon May 16 13:02:19 CDT 2011

On Mon, 16 May 2011, Lorne Shantz wrote:

> Okay, here is possibly a stupid question. My upgrade was a disaster
> from Opensuse 11.3 to 11.4. So I started over with a fresh install. I
> backup every night, so I'm thinking there may be a simple way to just
> copy what I need without starting from scratch. Is that too simple? :)
>
> Otherwise I have to gasp.... read and study and think, compile....

Not knowing how exactly you were setup before it's kind of hard to tell
you how to preserve it.  And by "it" I presume you're only asking about
the pvrusb2 driver installation since that's what this list is about.

As far as the pvrusb2 driver is concerned you only need 2 pieces, the
kernel module that is the driver, and all the firmware files.

The kernel module - if you're using the standalone driver - has to be
compiled against the kernel you are using.  If you did a scratch install
of a later version of Opensuse, then it's very likely that you're
running a later kernel.  In that case you'll have to recompile the
driver anyway.  If you're using the in-kernel version of the driver then
there should be nothing else to do as far as the kernel module is
concerned - but that also depends on your distro, if they've made the
multimedia kernel stuff into a separate package.

The firmware files are needed in order to initialize the hardware.  You
will definitely need to locate and copy those across.  The firmware
files have stayed constant throughout the life of the driver so there's
no requirement to "upgrade" any firmware if you're running a later
driver.  Look at the pvrusb2 web page about firmware installation if
need to search for the right file names.