[pvrusb2] hvr-1950 - analog side - problems using scantv

Roger rogerx.oss at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 16:50:00 CST 2011

> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 12:22:15AM -0600, Mike Isely wrote:
>
>Remember that xawtv3 does not work with capture devices that emit mpeg
>video.  Remember also that xawtv4 must be compiled to include mpeg
>support for it to have any chance at video capture.  These details have
>been documented all along here:
>
>http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/usage.html#xawtv

I remembered xawtv-3's lack of mpeg playback, along with compiling xawtv-4 with
mpeg support.

I got as far as looking at xawtv git, and xawtv-3 git has quite a few recent
commits.  Xawtv-4 seems to lack any activity since it was conceived years ago.

>The xawtv app is really old and I'm not even sure if anyone is
>maintaining it any longer.  You might want to consider TV-Viewer as an
>alternative for the analog side:
>
>http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/usage.html#TV-Viewer

I'm looking into this, but seeing somebody else's code a few years ago caused
be to gasp at trying to read the tcl/tk code and started me coding an
alternative solution in C.  ;-)

Anyways, a dependency of TV-Viewer is ivtv-utils, which contains ivtv-tune and
some other tv/radio tools.

/usr/bin/ivtvplay
/usr/bin/cx25840ctl
/usr/bin/ivtv-radio
/usr/bin/ivtv-mpegindex
/usr/bin/ivtv-tun

ie.

$ ivtv-tune --freqtable=us-bcast --channel=16
/dev/video0: 483.250 MHz

Using either mplayer or cat on /dev/video0, I get a blip of gray static and
then the screen goes black.  I do have good audio so I can hear either the
static or the station broadcast.  Most I have here on analog TV freqs are 10-20
scrambled (over the air cable in Alaska here) and one standard TV channel which
is poor in quality.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/