[pvrusb2] IR blaster in the HVR-1900

Roger rogerx.oss at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 01:51:04 CDT 2012

> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 06:15:20PM +0200, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
>Hi.
>
>I'm trying to use the IR blaster of my HVR-1900 tuners, and I'm not
>having any luck so far. I have no experience with IR blastering ;-) so I
>don't know whether the fact that it's not working is due to my general
>silliness or due to some fundamental problem with IR on the HVR-1900.
>
>I have seen the wiki saying that noone has yet come forward saying that
>it's working for them. Is that still the case?
>
>Using kernel version 3.3 and lircd 0.8.7.

I have a HVR-1950 which looks exactly like the HVR-1900. (Stupified, I can't
see a difference!)  Using Gentoo:

$ uname -a

Linux localhost2.local 3.1.10-gentoo-r1 #3 SMP PREEMPT Mon Apr 23 08:49:39 AKDT
2012 i686 Pentium III (Coppermine) GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

$ eix -s lirc

app-misc/inputlircd-0.0.1_pre11
app-misc/lirc-0.9.0  "X kernel_linux lirc_devices_devinput"

(I think inputlircd, which is used for the /dev/input/event* interface, is
pulled in by lirc -- but am not sure.)

$ cat /etc/make.conf |grep LIRC

LIRC_DEVICES="devinput"

File: /etc/conf.d/lircd
LIRCD_OPTS="-H devinput -d name=*HVR-1950*"

And, last but not least, /etc/lirc/lircd.conf contains three(?) (hauppauge?)
remote control button configuration layouts.  I delete the two which aren't
used here possibly saving some system resources when the file is read into
memory.  (You need to use /usr/bin/irw to figure-out which remote button layout
is used by distinguishing the button labels printed to stdout compared to those
listed within the /etc/lirc/lircd.conf.)

For configuring the IR remote control to work with specif applications (linking
remote control buttons to application specific actions such as MPlayer, Xine,
...), create use the lircrc file (/etc/lirc/lircrc or I use $HOME/.lircrc so it
can be configured as user instead of logging in as root).  If I'm not mistaken,
the changes to lircrc are now real time and do not require lirc service to be
restarted!

Also, only the lircd service needs to be started and you can omit starting the
lircmd service.

Grep the mailing list here as I think I posted how I initially setup my lirce
w/ HVR-1950 here.  I'm not sure how I figured-out my stuff, but did do some
minimal tinkering and playing with command line tools to get things working.
Lirc, including Windows IR, is a pain, but once I got it working a year ago,
it's yet to fail.  Not like my old 29032 pvrusb2 remote which plagued me with
IR problems.  Also, the pvrusb and lirc driver seem to be loading and unloading
just fine on plug/unplug -- again, unlike my old 29032 pvrusb2 device.

If you want my lircd.conf and lircrc, just send me a direct email request if
you can.  They're short, but I don't know if Mike would care for the additional
text here.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/