[pvrusb2] new kernel breaks hauppuage pvrusb2 and hvr-1950 withmythtv

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at computer.org
Fri Dec 21 10:43:19 CST 2012

On 12/20/2012 09:01 PM, Daniel Woo wrote:
> Even though I restart the mythbackend b/c of the permissions on
> /dev/video0, could this still be the problem?
> Shouldn't mythbackend recheck the tuner on restart?
>
> What do you think the problem is for the 2.x kernels? Tv-viewer won't
> work for them.

Daniel,

I hate to speculate, although I have done already. My earlier suggestion
is that you double-check that your tuners are fully initialised by the
time you start the backend.

I have four HVR-1900 tuners. I believe that these are near-identical to
the HVR-1950 (just that mine are PAL/SECAM whereas yours are PAL/NTSC).
My four tuners take nearly two minutes after boot to fully initialise,
so I really recommend that you follow the procedure outlined on the wiki
to add the proper clauses to your "start on" stanza. So given the
similarity of your tuners to mine I would expect that the triggering
event is the same (i.e. pvrusb2-device-added), so that you just have to
find out the serial numbers of your tuners and add them to the KERNEL=
section of the line shown in the example.

As for permissions: this should all be transparent. But you do need to
add the user that you run the backend as to certain groups such that it
has full access to the video and audio devices.

On my system the /dev/videoX device files are owned by user root and
group video. So I need to make sure that user 'mythtv' belongs to group
'video'. Substitute the user name and group name as appropriate on your
system.

So I recommend that you don't change the permissions on the device files
themselves; just issue the appropriate useradd command and this issue
will be fixed once and for all. The appropriate command for my example
above is

	usermod -a -G video mythtv

Similarly, the user you run tv-viewer as needs to be a member of the
video group as well.

But all of this stuff should really already have been done for you by
your distro.

These changes don't become effective until the next time the user in
question logs in, so close any mythtv shells and reopen them (or reboot
if that's easier).

HTH, Jan