[pvrusb2] new kernel breaks hauppuage pvrusb2 and hvr-1950 withmythtv

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Mon Dec 24 10:46:16 CST 2012

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012, Daniel Woo wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Could you try Mythbuntu 10.04 LTS kernel 2.6.32 and Mythbuntu 12.04 LTS kernel
> 3.2 and try to get mythtv working? As these will be supported by ubuntu for
> years, these are probably the most likely downloads that people will use in
> the future. That's all I can think of.

I don't normally run mythbuntu here (or for that matter ubuntu), so a
test like this may be a while.

> I am using analog cable. I have not tried the digital tuner yet.
> I can get pvrusb2 to work in 10.04 with mythtv and tv-viewer.
> I can't get hvr-1950 to work in 10.04 with mythtv or tv-viewer.
> I'm guessing I need a 3.x kernel to get the hvr-1950 to work.

No, HVR-1950 support began around roughly the 2.6.26 kernel timeframe.
That's when it started working here.  But IIRC, HVR-1950 support also
required updated tuner support in the V4L core and that was still shakey
arounnd 2.6.26 - but even that stabilized LONG before the 3.x kernel
series started.

Right now, aside from the FM radio, the HVR-1950 (and presumably the
HVR-1900) should be working as well as the older PVR-USB2 models, on all
recent kernel versions.

When you are swapping mythbuntu versions, are you using the same
firmware files?  Maybe 10.04 is missing the firmware image for the
HVR-1950's FX2 microcontroller?

> I can get pvrusb2 and hvr-1950 to work in 12.04 with tv-viewer, but not
> mythtv.
> For all the above, I just use the standard iso install with no special
> changes.
> I'm guessing it's mythtv that's breaking in the 3.x kernels.

I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.  Mythtv is complex and
difficult to keep healthy.  Don't get me started there...