[pvrusb2] Best MPEG2 Stream Editor for Hauppauge Created MPEG2 Files

Roger rogerx.oss at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 08:21:54 CST 2012

This was some awesome clarification, for which I didn't find within any of the
posts using Google to find a resolution for "Hauppauge audio video sync"
issues.

It would be nice to see something brief on this on Mike's page.  He probably
doesn't need to go into a long explanation as it would appear code fixes are
being employed, except for cinelerra.  Current stable avidemux-2.5 still has
this problem on Gentoo.  Mplayer can play these streams fine, and always seems
to have, but re-encoding with mencoder or using mencoder for capture the
initial stream will display this sync issue.

Hence forth, might be best to get this documented someplace so legal honest
guys like me can easily edit or cut a free stream.  As for those trying to edit
broadcasted copy righted material, in the past, they've usually just used a
Windows tool. :-/

Anyways, Merry Christmas all and the HVR-1950 has been rock solid for the past
1-2+ years, capturing daily local TV news broadcast and PBS News, along with an
entertainment show every now and then.  All captured via crontab or a cron job
with absolutely no bloatware. ;-)

> [...]
>problem.
>When I'm using my HVR-1900 to capture terrestrial emission (DVB-T), I get
>mpeg4 avc MPEG-TS which is emitted over the air here. If I use avidemux 2.5
>on this, the audio gets wildly out of sync. No such problem with avidemux
>2.6.
>
>In other words I'm completely certain that you'll find out that avidemux
>sorts out the problem for you. There are other solutions too, lighters
>ones... Search for programs with "ts" in the name like i don't know tsmuxer
>tscut or whatnot.
>
>However compiling avidemux should not be a problem. For me, I just
>downloaded the source, installed the dependencies (qt-dev and so on), then:
>
>./configure --prefix=/home/myusername/opt/avidemux-2.6
>make
>make install
>
>Note that I DO NOT do this make install as root!! But only as a standard
>user. Therefore you can peacefully run those commands, it cannot damage
>your system. BTW in my case the Qt build worked fine but I had trouble with
>the GTK build (I first tried the Gtk build as I use GNOME3). So I would
>recommend to build against Qt.
>
>emmanuel
>

>On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 12:08 AM, Emmanuel Touzery <etouzery at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> i am convinced avidemux 2.6 would work great for you. i compiled it from
>> source on fedora 17 and it works great, works great on windows as well.
>>
>> i really urge you to give it a shot, it can't be that hard to set it up.
>>
>> emmanuel

>>> changing to

>>> just

>>> I'm in the US using (DVB) ATSC.
>>>
>>> The same video, plays just fine with mplayer.  Never had a problem with
>>> audio/video sync.  I used to capture video using mencoder, but then ran
>>> into
>>> audio/video sync issues and resorted to dd.
>>>
>>> I'm using avidemux-2.5.6, while avidemux-2.6* series is hard masked here
>>> on
>>> gentoo.
>>>
>>> I have tried playing around with exporting with different settings with no
>>> success.
>>>
>>> I've also just tried cinelerra-20120707, and the audio is drifting far
>>> off too
>>> on playback.
>>>

>>> This is TV Broadcasted video grabbed from an hvr-1950 using dd from the
>>> /dev/dvb device.  Not using mplayer/mencoder for recording as it further
>>> processes the video before saving.
>>>
>>> I was using cat prior to using dd, but cat had issues with large files or
>>> reception quality (unusual chars) or something.  dd has proven more
>>> reliable.
>>>
>>> So, I'm using the raw original stream.
>>>
>>> Some things from past notes, it's been stated extra frames could be being
>>> broadcasted to ensure quality, hence the reason for 59.940 fps when
>>> playing
>>> with mplayer.  Mplayer also starts complaining every few frames about
>>> framerate/fps.  I'm I'm thinking the later might more likely be the
>>> reason.
>>>
>>> ---Begin of Mplayer Snip---
>>> demux_mpg: 24000/1001fps progressive NTSC content detected, switching
>>> framerate.
>>> A:34534.1 V:34535.7 A-V: -1.629 ct: -0.050  51/ 33 19% 26%  0.3% 3 0
>>>
>>> demux_mpg: 30000/1001fps NTSC content detected, switching framerate.
>>> A:34534.1 V:34535.7 A-V: -1.621 ct: -0.052  52/ 34 18% 27%  0.2% 3 0
>>> Warning! FPS changed 47.952 -> 59.940  (-11.988010) [7]
>>> A:34535.2 V:34536.8 A-V: -1.641 ct: -0.113 114/ 70 11% 16%  0.2% 3 0
>>>
>>> demux_mpg: 24000/1001fps progressive NTSC content detected, switching
>>> framerate.
>>> A:34535.4 V:34537.0 A-V: -1.586 ct: -0.133 124/ 80 10% 15%  0.2% 3 0
>>>
>>> demux_mpg: 30000/1001fps NTSC content detected, switching framerate.
>>> A:34535.4 V:34537.0 A-V: -1.598 ct: -0.135 125/ 81 10% 15%  0.2% 3 0
>>> Warning! FPS changed 47.952 -> 59.940  (-11.988010) [7]
>>> A:34538.4 V:34539.9 A-V: -1.503 ct: -0.256 300/153  9%  8%  0.2% 3 0
>>> ---End of Mplayer Snip---
>>>

>>> The Hauppauge audio/video sync was such a popular problem on the message
>>> boards
>>> without any resolution, and the only thing that comes to my mind is it
>>> may have
>>> been fixed with a firmware update, or a unique work-araound applied
>>> quietly
>>> within mplayer.
>>>
>>> Well, one things certain, I'm sure I'm on the right mailing list -- as if
>>> anybody knows, it would be people here!  And, as I said, not going to
>>> pull my
>>> hair out on this.  I usually just watch things once and discard the
>>> recorded
>>> show anyways.  Likely the issue is only with TV broadcasted material and
>>> not
>>> with composite input recording.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Roger