[pvrusb2] Looking for "dvb-fe-tda10048-1.0.fw" firmware

Roger rogerx.oss at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 14:30:54 CST 2012

> On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 12:45:50PM -0600, Mike Isely wrote:
>
>Comments below...
>
>On Wed, 1 Feb 2012, Burr, Michael wrote:
>
>> I have recently extracted a set of firmware files for the HVR-19xx
>> tuners from the Hauppauge windows driver package and I have a couple
>> questions:
>>
>> 1) it's my understanding that for the HVR-1900 tuner, DVB-T support
>> needs the "dvb-fe-tda10048-1.0.fw" firmware file.  The fwextract.pl
>> script did not locate an instance of that file.  Should it have?  Is
>> there some other way to extract that firmware (or am I just wrong
>> thinking that it shouldbe somewhere in the Windows driver package?)
>
>The reason why it isn't finding the file you're talking about is because it's
>never been trained to.

In lamens terms, the pvrusb2 fwextract.pl (perl script) can be quite easily
modified to find an additional firmware file.  You just need to use a hexeditor
to find the firmware file's offsets and then write the filename with offsets
into the perl script.  This can be quite easily done, even by those that know
little or no Perl but some Bash.

For finding file offsets, study an existing firmware file's offsets (between
the perl script and binary file to find the beginning and ending of file if
needed) and then compare those offset's to your "dvb-fe-tda10048-1.0.fw"
apparent offset's.

>From there, it's trial and error to make sure you snip the correct file.  And
then perform several cold boots, powering off both the computer and HVR device
if need be.

Pretty simple, but tedious ... especially for those whom are not fans of Perl.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/