[pvrusb2] Looking for "dvb-fe-tda10048-1.0.fw" firmware

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Feb 1 12:45:50 CST 2012

Comments below...

On Wed, 1 Feb 2012, Burr, Michael wrote:

> I have recently extracted a set of firmware files for the HVR-19xx
> tuners from the Hauppauge windows driver package and I have a couple
> questions:
>
> 1) it's my understanding that for the HVR-1900 tuner, DVB-T support
> needs the "dvb-fe-tda10048-1.0.fw" firmware file.  The fwextract.pl
> script did not locate an instance of that file.  Should it have?  Is
> there some other way to extract that firmware (or am I just wrong
> thinking that it shouldbe somewhere in the Windows driver package?)

The fwextract.pl script is actually very generic in nature and is
capable of finding and extracting just about anything it is "trained" to
look for.  Internally it has a block of configuration data appended to
the script file itself - this block is read by the script code when it
starts and it is this block which "tells" the script how to find
everything.  All of its knowledge about finding pvrusb2-related firmware
is actually only in its configuration data; the rest of it is generic.
But it can only find what it has been configured for.

The reason why it isn't finding the file you're talking about is because
it's never been trained to.

The reason why it's never been trained to is because I'm in the USA and
so I've never had an HVR-1900 to draw my attention to the issue (and if
I did there's no way I could debug it since there's no DVB-T here).

But it is possible for somebody else with access to the device's driver
package AND already-extracted examples to do the training.  There's a
process whereby you can "show" the script what a correct specimen of the
firmware is, then the script can generate a signature for that specimen
and use that to hunt down any other place where it might exist.  Think
of it like giving a bloodhound something to sniff and then the dog knows
how to recognize that person in other contexts from that point onward.
It would be nice if this script were finally given enough info to find
everything including that for the HVR-1900.

Generally this hasn't been an issue for people because for the file in
question, the firmware is probably also available through other means,
i.e. since it relates to the tuner portion which is probably also in
other vendors' products that this particular file is probably directly
downloadable through other means, e.g. see Krufky's reply a few minutes
ago.

> 2) is there information anywhere about what fixes there might be in
> different firmware versions?  I have some other firmware files, but
> don't have a good 'history' for where they came from. I'm interested
> in knowing at least something about what, if any, improvements I might
> possibly look for.

Unfortunately, at least for the firmware files I know about, there is
very little information about "good" vs "bad" firmware versions, or for
that matter any implied dependencies among firmware versions.

The general strategy is just to use whatever you find, and if you can,
use what came with the product's driver CD.

One thing I do know is that a key problem with FM radio support on the
HVR-1950 is that it actually requires a particular firmware version for
one of the chips and there's no infrastructure in place to track this
sort of thing.