[pvrusb2] Pops/Breaks on radio0 device

Roger rogerx.oss at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 20:13:42 CST 2012

I hooked-up my old pvrusb2 device today, a WinTV PVR USB2 Model 29xxx since the
HVR-1950 cx25842 chip doesn't currently work, to be able to use the FM
/dev/radio0 device and am noticing pops/breaks during audio playback.

# mpeg2desc -a0 < /dev/radio0 | mpg123 -T -

Or

# mpeg2desc -a0 < /dev/radio0 | mpg321 --aggressive -

Or

$ mpeg2desc -a0 < /dev/radio0 | madplay -

And, using mplayer /dev/radio0 seems even more problematic.  Increasing the
cache does seem to resolve, but requires an excessive value for the -cache
option (1-2 minutes).

Recording to file for playing-back separately does resolve the pop/break
problem, but isn't a convienient method of playing back a live stream.

$ mpeg2desc -a0 < /dev/radio0 > /tmp/file.mp2

Seems to be a caching problem.  I don't recall noticing this "audio break"
problem within the past year or so.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/