[pvrusb2] Pops/Breaks on radio0 device

rogerx.oss at gmail.com rogerx.oss at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 21:23:40 CST 2012

>> > I hooked-up my old pvrusb2 device today, a WinTV PVR USB2 Model 29xxx
>> since the
>> > HVR-1950 cx25842 chip doesn't currently work, to be able to use the FM
>> > /dev/radio0 device and am noticing pops/breaks during audio playback.
>> >

>> > # mpeg2desc -a0 < /dev/radio0 | mpg123 -T -
>> >
>> > Or
>> >
>> > # mpeg2desc -a0 < /dev/radio0 | mpg321 --aggressive -
>> >
>> > Or
>> >
>> > $ mpeg2desc -a0 < /dev/radio0 | madplay -
>> >
>> > And, using mplayer /dev/radio0 seems even more problematic.  Increasing
>> the
>> > cache does seem to resolve, but requires an excessive value for the
>> -cache
>> > option (1-2 minutes).
>> >

>> > Recording to file for playing-back separately does resolve the pop/break
>> > problem, but isn't a convienient method of playing back a live stream.
>> >
>> > $ mpeg2desc -a0 < /dev/radio0 > /tmp/file.mp2
>> >

>> > Seems to be a caching problem.  I don't recall noticing this "audio
>> break"
>> > problem within the past year or so.

Still in preliminary assessment here, but I so far noticed skips using the
following within $HOME/.bash_profile

tty2) screen -wipe; ionice -c 2 -n 0 screen -RD

I commented/removed this line and am using the defaults and am now hearing
skips and no breaks.

... still trouble shooting here.

(On a somewhat seperate issue, spent 4+ hours last night trying to install
wintv-6 or wintv-7 to compare it's performance, and am finding wintv-7 does not
recognize any of my (hvr-1950 & pvr usb2 29xx) devices.  What joy.  I could
elaborate on the number of multiple reboots, blue screen and other errors but
will politely save you the misery.)

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/