[pvrusb2] break with the past...

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 10:25:44 CST 2012

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 07:48, Mike Isely <isely at isely.net> wrote:
> What is the *OLDEST* kernel version for which you are using the
> standalone pvrusb2 driver?

If you include my testing of your latest driver, the
oldest would be a 3.2 kernel.

Typical Env:
  Fedora (usually latest) both 32 and 64 bit.
  WinTV PVR USB2 (a couple of versions; mostly
    unused at this point)
  HVR-1950 (all the same; used for clear-QAM
    cable)

My preference is to use the in-kernel driver (it
simplifies my royal overheads).  The only times
I have used the standalone driver (or even the
in-v4l driver) is to deal with specific problems
that you (or the v4l devs) have fixed, and have
not yet made it upstream, and that I needed
NOW (well, THEN).  In all cases, I have been
on a "fairly recent" kernels at the time since
Fedora tends to run recent kernels.

To be honest, since the code has been so
stable for so long, and Hauppauge has not
released new revisions of their units (that
I have purchased) that required a driver update
for so long, I cannot recall the last time I
actually needed to "compile my own" to deal
with a bug/feature/revision.

>From my point of view, kernel 3.0+ would be
a fine base if it simplified your work moving
forward.

Gary