[pvrusb2] "failed to grab control of dtv input (code=-1)"

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 16:40:03 CST 2012

<private reply>

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 22:03, Roger <rogerx.oss at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 07:49:42PM +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>>On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 19:11, Mike Isely <isely at isely.net> wrote:
>>> ... I can look into serializing this better.
>>
>>Thanks for looking.  I had been occasionally receiving the
>>"failed to grab" error for quite some time, very infrequently,
>
> Ditto here.  Can't remember the exact error stated within syslog, but this
> scenario describing failing to initialize /dev/dvb does fit.

Yes, I tend to not report things until I can create a mostly
reliable reproducer (I have been on the "other" end of the such
reports for long enough to know that if I can not reproduce
the failure, I am never going to feel I can properly validate
a fix).

I see in one of the TODO lists
  http://www.isely.net/svn/pvrusb2/tags/mci-rel-20100424/doc/notes.txt
the comment:

   o What is this all about during initialization of HVR-1950: "
      pvrusb2: failed to grab control of dtv input (code=-1)" - this
      seems to randomly happen.

Sounds like Mike understands the issue, and now he just
needs to be able to find the time to address it.