[pvrusb2] My tuners occasionally get stuck

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Mar 25 14:46:35 CDT 2012

Jan:

I think Gary has a good point here.

Another angle you should consider is something I've seen here repeatedly
over time, having nothing to do with the software: power.  External USB
devices that are not USB-powered of course rely on their own power
supply.  Cheap wall-wart power adapters simply do NOT have the
resilience of a PC power supply when it comes to dirty power.  A nearby
A/C compressor cycling on/off can glitch the power enough to crash an
externally-wall-wart-powered USB device while PC internal power supplies
usually have enough internal energy storage (i.e. capacitors) to ride
out an event like that.  I've *personally witnessed* this sort of thing
in the past and there have been repeated reports of people with randomly
crashing USB devices that magically fix themselves when their power
supply is moved behind, say, a UPS or sometimes just a good surge
protector (depending on the severity of the power issue).

Your report mentions all 4 tuners crashing at once, which admittedly
might be more likely a kernel USB stack bug.  Note that the pvrusb2
driver instances itself once for every device you have connected.
Since the driver instances generally operate independantly of one
another, a driver misbehavior should not be able to cause simultaneous
failure of all tuners at once.  The fact that a system reboot does not
clear the problem is another factor that suggests the foul-up is in the
tuners themselves, though the trigger could still be the kernel USB
stack.

Since you have 4 tuners, you have a unique opportunity to try an
experiment: Put just 2 of the tuners behind a UPS.  Wait for the next
failure.  Do all four tuners fail at once again or just two?  If only 2
fail now then that's almost a smoking gun clue indicating bad power.
If you still have all 4 failing at once then I'd put my money on Gary's
theory: a kernel USB stack bug.

Another idea - if you have a portable USB hard drive, plug it in as well
and run a repeated massive tar command to generate large amounts of I/O.
When you next get a failure, does the hard drive survive while the
tuners still fail?  If the hard drive fails too, then you've just
exonerated the entire V4L subsystem and I'd then be looking really hard
at the USB stack.

Hope that helps.

  -Mike