[pvrusb2] My tuners occasionally get stuck

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 15:53:11 CDT 2012

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 19:46, Mike Isely <isely at isely.net> wrote:
> Another idea - if you have a portable USB hard drive, plug it in as well
> and run a repeated massive tar command to generate large amounts of I/O.
> When you next get a failure, does the hard drive survive while the
> tuners still fail?  If the hard drive fails too, then you've just
> exonerated the entire V4L subsystem and I'd then be looking really hard
> at the USB stack.

The op mentioned that he also had an APC UPS device
that hung at the same time (although if I interpreted
the posting correctly, that one recovered after the
machine reboot; maybe it was not as confused and
dazed as the pvrusb devices and was able to be
reinitialized at boot).

AFAIK the APC device does not use the V4L subsystem
(although you can never tell, APC is working at doing
entire DC management, and maybe this one takes
video/pictures of the site).

So, I am sticking with my WAG.

Gary