[pvrusb2] My tuners occasionally get stuck

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at computer.org
Mon Mar 26 10:45:02 CDT 2012

On 25/03/12 23:03, Mike Isely wrote:

>> So, I am sticking with my WAG.
>
> I agree.

Thanks guys. I do indeed have the server and the tuners on an APC
Back-UPS CS 650.

I'm not actually sure whether all four tuners fail at the same time.
When the log messages start appearing and the zero-length recordings
start happening I'm not sure whether all tuners have been knocked out by
then because of the way that MythTV schedules their use.

But I do know that if I leave things unaddressed for a few days (e.g.
because I'm away), then eventually the entire USB subsystem seems to go
AWOL leading also to apcupsd becoming unable to communicate with the UPS.

I have now done two things:

- automated the power cycling of the tuners whenever a zero-length
recording has just finished (using a power socket controlled by sispmctl).

- installed kernel 3.3.0.

The issue has not recurred since, but it was not unusual for it not to
occur for 2 weeks and then to happen a few times the next week. So I
can't yet tell whether the kernel upgrade has solved it. But I do hope
that if the issue recurs while I'm away the damage will be limited by my
power-cycling rig. (That's unless USB really goes haywire again because
the power socket is also controlled through USB).

I'll report back in a little while.

Thanks, Jan